Mandates and Functions
- Develop policy and strategies for the growth of the industrial sector.
- Support the growth, development and diversification of industries for overall economic growth.
- Support industrial transformation through innovation, investment and emerging technologies.
- Promote Bhutan as an investment destination and support growth of FDIs.
- Conduct studies, analysis and develop plans, projects and programs for industrial development.
- Promote, facilitate and manage industrial parks.
- Create a conducive environment for the private sector to lead industrial growth and development.
- Support rejuvenation of non-performing industries with future potential.
- Spearhead the transformation of industry into a green industry
- Coordinate preparation of plans and budget.
CSI Promotion Division
- Formulate and implement CSI development policy and strategies to encourage the growth of CSIs and advise the government on issues related to CSIs.
- Stimulate the development of the CSIs through creation of an enabling environment and provision of business development services including information and access to finance and market.
- Promote and facilitate access to industrial parks and Common Facility Centers
- Facilitate transfer of knowledge and best practices for efficient business management.
- Facilitate transfer of skills and technology to establish CSI businesses.
- Institute support measures to bring the informal sector into the mainstream economy.
- Explore and adopt opportunities of IT/ emerging technologies for the growth of CSI sector.
Large Industries Promotion Division
- Develop policy and strategies for the growth and development of Medium & Large-Scale Industries.
- Conduct domestic investment promotion and advocacy programs.
- Appraise and process new domestic industrial project applications and upgradation, expansion and additional activities for the existing industries.
- Appraise and process proposals for franchise, brand and management collaboration.
- Promote value addition, innovation, green and emerging technologies.
- Monitoring of the approved industrial projects.
- Establish industrial linkages to adopt best practices with institutions and industrial parks/estates both in-country and ex-country.
- Provide advisory and facilitation services to existing and potential investors.
- Promote Bhutan as an investment destination for FDI by functioning as an Investment Promotion Agency (in line with the FDI Policy 2019)
- Create an enabling environment for FDI
- Develop and implement investment promotion strategies and action plans.
- Facilitate investment and establishment of FDI projects
- Provide post establishment services
- Provide Policy recommendations for FDI
- Provide advice related to FDI treaties and other international agreements.
Industry Sustenance Support Division
- Conduct research and studies related to industrial performance, market, raw materials.
- Explore ways to support and revive non-performing industries with potential.
- Provide advice and facilitate services to operate and manage the businesses efficiently (visa related, tax issues/incentives, currency, SRFL, import license, value addition certificate).
- Assess and analyze global industry status that has direct bearing on local industries.
- Develop and manage industrial information and licensing systems.
- Publication of annual industrial report.
Industrial Parks Management Division
- Assessment and identification of the designated area for business infrastructure development.
- Conduct feasibility study taking into consideration socio-economic viability for development of business infrastructure (in conjunction with other relevant agencies).
- Planning, budgeting, monitoring and coordination of deposit works for execution by cluster agency.
- Facilitate allotment of industrial land and space within the IPs/business infra.
- Assess, approve and monitor construction of industrial sheds in industrial parks.
- Management and maintenance of Industrial Parks.
- Liaise with local government and service providers for utility services in the parks/estates.
Environment Services Section
- Act as a Competent Authority for NEC delegated activities with regard to issuance/renewal of environment clearance and enforcement of environmental laws in the country.
- Conduct capacity building programs for the private sector and relevant officials on environmental management.
- Carry out regular inspection and monitoring of industries for compliance to environmental regulation.
- Advocate and support upgradation to clean technology.
- Facilitate approval of environment clearance for non-delegated activities from NEC.